Tuesday 31 May 2016

Carbon Aeroscreen fitting - Part Three.

Hi everyone, sorry for having to spilt this post into multi parts, the problem is using my iPad to create these posts, as once you have posted pictures, blogger does not allow you to scroll down to edit your post. It's a well documented bug, so I hope Google fix it soon.

So here's the final part of fitting my Carbon Aeroscreen. In the previous parts we covered removing the windscreen and preparing the Aero screen for fitment.

Now the final part is the mounting of the mirrors, which I will cover here first, then post the pictures.

The two carbon wing/door mirrors come with bolts and nuts to mount them on the aero screen, so that was all good.

However the larger centre mounted rear view mirror came with no bolts, so I posted a question on the Facebook lotus seven pages, to see what others had done and sure enough got a quick answer, with two people,telling me that theirs were riveted to the centre base of the Aeroscreen.

This made me happy, as that's what I thought I remembered from my previous R500, but could not really remember for sure.

So a quick trial fit to get the position correct, then on with some masking tape, and my trusty green marker pen to mark the holes. Once drilled it was a simple of getting the air rivet gun out and firing in the three rivets from the underside into the base of the mirror mount.

Next up was the same to mount the two outer mirrors. Now Caterham don't give any guidance on the exact location here, and I suspect that most are fitted where the owners feel,they seem correct. So this is exactly what I did, I decided I wanted them to be a bit lower that the centre mirror, but still wanted them to be able to " look over " the rear wings.

So with the screen all fixed in position, I sat in my normal driver seated position, and played with several postiitons of mounting to see which worked best.

Once happy I again applied masking tape, and used the green pen to mark out the locations to drill. In the pas I also drilled a third hole in the centre of the mirror base, I found the helps a lot with final positioning of the mirror, as it allows you to use an Allen key to adjust the mounting screw.

And that was it, the job was finished, and then it was time for a nice little Blat in the count to try them out.











No comments:

Post a Comment